The Sine Kabataan Short Film Competition gives a platform to all aspiring young filmmakers and provides an opportunity to expose their fresh talents. This serves to encourage the youth to develop their creativity and originality in storytelling, touching on important issues of today as perceived by the youth. It is organized by the Film Development Council of the Philippines (FDCP) and is conducted alongside the Pista ng Pelikulang Pilipino (PPP).
1. Open to all filmmakers of ages 15 to 30 years old.
*Only the proponent/director is required to be between the ages of 15 to 30.
2. The short film must depict the youth’s perception on the following issues:
3. The short film can be live action or animated.
4. The short film must have a total maximum running time of five (5) minutes, including opening and closing credits.
5. The short film may be in Filipino or English language, but the film must be primarily in Filipino or any Philippine language/dialect as appropriate.
6. Only entries which have not been featured in other local and international festivals and competitions and have not won in other film competitions are qualified to join.
*Films previously featured in school and intercollegiate competitions may still join.
7. Films must have been produced within the period of 2018 to 2019.
8. Selected entries as finalists must not withdraw from the competition.
9. Employees of the FDCP shall be disqualified from the competition.
10. Any kind of modification will not be allowed for final entries except addition of necessary subtitles.
11. Revised or re-submitted films, whether using the same or a different title, shall be disqualified.
12. All music, artwork, photography, etc. used in the film must be original, licensed, or in the public domain. The Festival organizers shall not be liable for any costs related to claims of performing rights organizations.
13. FDCP guarantees the safety of the submitted entries throughout the period in its custody. Its obligation is limited only to the replacement cost of the damaged DVDs and reproduction of new copies of entries when unavoidable circumstances like loss or damage happens to the entries.
14. The FDCP reserves the right to, without need of any payment, make copies of the top eight (8) short films, produce film clips and video stills of the films, and use them for promotional use via internet, TV, radio, and other media.
15. The FDCP reserves the right to screen the finalists outside of the Festival, without need of any payment, for two years from the first day of screening in Pista ng Pelikulang Pilipino (PPP) at any venue and across different platforms.
16. By entering the Festival, the participants agree to abide by the Festival guidelines and rules.
17. In case of any violation of the guidelines and rules, the organizers and the Selection Committee reserves the right to disqualify the participant and their film or remove them from the program.
18. The organizers and Selection Committee reserves the right to disqualify any participant and/or to forfeit any prize from a participant who is found to have committed plagiarism or has undertaken fraudulent practice and/or activities harmful to the Festival or the Festival submission process.
19. FDCP reserves the right to create, revoke, and modify at any time, in any way its entry requirements, rules and regulations at its absolute discretion without prior notice. Finalists and submitted entries shall be bound by any amendments or addition to the entry requirements, rules and regulations herewith.
20. The decision of the Selection Committee and Board of Jurors is final and irrevocable. The board reserves the right not to give an award in any category should no entry merit it. The Board will not be obliged to give explanation for the results.
The following requirements can be submitted online, by hand, or by courier:
1. Duly accomplished application form with complete details (Film Title, Total Running Time, Production Company, Contact Number, Proponent/Director’s complete name and contact number, Assent form for proponents below 18 years old).
Application form can be downloaded via this link: Sine Kabataan Application Form
2. Entry film’s complete and final cut must be submitted in 1080p, mp4 or .mov file format, mixed in 5.1 audio format, with English subtitles.
3. Brief resume, two recent 2x2 photos, and a copy of a government-issued ID of the filmmaker(s).
4. Copy of the script/transcript of the film.
5. Letter of consent written and signed by a parent or guardian if the interested participant is a minor.
6. Online submissions must provide a secured direct link (Vimeo or Google Drive), and a corresponding password/pin if needed.
7. Poster design in JPEG format (27”x41”, 300dpi).
8. Thirty-second movie trailer in playable mp4 or .mov format.
SUBMISSION OF ENTRIES
Entries may be emailed to email@example.com (with subject heading: Application for Sine Kabataan 2019) or hand delivered to:
Mr. Rosano Ricarto
Film Development Council of the Philippines
855 T.M. Kalaw Street, Ermita, Manila
The deadline of submission of entries is on June 15, 2019.
SELECTION OF FINALISTS
Eight (8) entries will be chosen as finalists and will be announced on June 27, 2019. The finalists’ entries will be shown in all theaters nationwide on September 2019. They will be chosen based on their content and choice of subject, story and screenplay, including the high technical standards for cinematography, production design, sound, editing, and other specialized aspects in filmmaking.
Each selected finalist will receive Ten Thousand Pesos (P 10,000).
REQUIREMENTS FOR FINALISTS
Chosen finalists must comply with the following additional requirements in preparation for judges’ and public screening.
1. Film entry’s movie trailer (thirty seconds) in mp4 format.
2. Film entry must be with English subtitles and in mp4 or .mov 1080p format, mixed in 5.1 audio format.
3. Two Poster designs, 27”x 41” and in JPEG format, 300dpi, in burned CDs or send soft copies to firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Additional requirements as may be determined by FDCP.
SINEKAMP AND FILM INDUSTRY CONFERENCE
In order to give our youth filmmakers a holistic experience, the directors of the Sine Kabataan films will be participating in SineKamp, a one-day camp where they will learn exclusive insights from experts in the local film industry on the important aspects of filmmaking that could help them continue with their stories and craft. They will also have automatic full access to FDCP’s Film Industry Conference where they will learn from international speakers and mentors on the latest trends and best practices in the industry.
SCREENING OF FILMS
The Sine Kabataan Short Films will be paired with Pista ng Pelikulang Pilipino (PPP) full feature counterparts and will be screened in all cinemas nationwide during PPP in September 2019.
The following awards will be given to Sine Kabataan entries during the PPP Awards Night during PPP:
1. Best Short Film – P 50,000
2. Jury’s Choice – P 30,000
3. Best Director – P 30,000
4. Audience Choice – P 10,000
Please send all queries to email@example.com with subject heading “Query: Sine Kabataan 2019.”